PHOENIX — A Scottsdale police officer who pulled a man from a burning truck was honored for his bravery Wednesday at the Arizona Burn Center.
When Scottsdale Police Officer Patrick Hindsberg arrived at an accident near Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard and Cactus Road, he found a truck had hit a pole, rolled over and caught fire.The driver, Hartley Johnson, was trapped inside.
Hindsberg pulled Johnson out of the truck, but he said other people were also helping out at the accident scene.
“There were other witnesses there that were doing what they could to put the fire out. All we had was dirt,” said Hindsberg. “I just found an opportunity to pull Mr. Johnson out of the back window. I used all of my might, somehow got him out and was able to keep him. I’m glad he’s still with us. I’m glad I was able to do what I did.”
Johnson’s legs had to be amputated because of his burns, but he’s thankful that Hindsberg saved his life.
“It was a bad nightmare that turned out to good,” said Johnson. “I’m still here. Thanks to Patrick Hindsberg for saving me.”
Johnson is doing well despite the loss of his legs. He has now enrolled in college and plans to be an engineer. His wife was ejected from the truck, but is recovering from an injured spleen. The cause of the single-vehicle crash is still under investigation.
Hindberg can’t believe the honor he’s received.
“This is overwhelming. This is not what I expected,” he said. “This a true honor that the hospital did for me here. Most of our job goes unrecognized, and it’s great once in a while that we do get recognized.”
The Maricopa Health Foundation is asking for donations to the Arizona Burn Center to help the Johnson’s with their medical expenses. For more information, click here.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon