U.S. Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake of Arizona and eight other panel members Wednesday voted to authorize military action in Syria.
McCain, who earlier in the day had said he wouldn’t back the resolution to strike because it didn’t include enough support for Syrian opposition forces, had two amendments added.
The vote was 10-7.
“These amendments are vital to ensuring that any U.S. military operations in Syria are part of a broader strategy to change the momentum on the battlefield in Syria,” McCain said a statement.
“… These amendments would put the Congress on the record that this is the policy of the United States, as President Obama has assured me.”
Flake, another member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said in a statement, in part:
“As commander in chief, President Obama already has the authority to conduct a limited strike such as the one he has asked Congress to authorize. This president’s reasons for coming to Congree in this instance were political, not constitutional.
“I believe in a strong commander in chief who takes actions as warranted and stands by them, which is why I voted in favor of the resolution in committee.”
The measure is expected to go before the full Senate next week.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets