U.S. Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake of Arizona and eight other panel members Wednesday voted to authorize military action in Syria.
McCain, who earlier in the day had said he wouldn’t back the resolution to strike because it didn’t include enough support for Syrian opposition forces, had two amendments added.
The vote was 10-7.
“These amendments are vital to ensuring that any U.S. military operations in Syria are part of a broader strategy to change the momentum on the battlefield in Syria,” McCain said a statement.
“… These amendments would put the Congress on the record that this is the policy of the United States, as President Obama has assured me.”
Flake, another member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said in a statement, in part:
“As commander in chief, President Obama already has the authority to conduct a limited strike such as the one he has asked Congress to authorize. This president’s reasons for coming to Congree in this instance were political, not constitutional.
“I believe in a strong commander in chief who takes actions as warranted and stands by them, which is why I voted in favor of the resolution in committee.”
The measure is expected to go before the full Senate next week.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck