PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer has appealed FEMA’s decision to deny declaring the Yarnell Hill Wildfire a major disaster.
Brewer said the area was devastated by the June wildfire that took the lives of 19 Granite Mountain Hotshot firefighters along with more than 100 homes.
“In our opinion this is a disaster,” Brewer said. “The people of Yarnell are elderly, underinsured or without insurance. They are desperate. I ask the president to do the right thing and help these natural disaster victims rebuild their lives and move forward with the healing.”
Brewer did not specify a price tag on the cost of rebuilding Yarnell or how much in the way of federal dollars she is seeking.
Arizona Republican Rep. Paul Gosar represents the affected area and said this issue is instrumental to Arizona and the rest of the west where fires seem to be getting more devastating each year.
“I hope for a speedy appeal and we get support to the people of Yarnell and the families,” Gosar said.
Arizona U.S. House members Trent Franks, Ann Kirkpatrick and Kyrsten Sinema were also in attendance.
vernor signed the appeal documents.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them