PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer has appealed FEMA’s decision to deny declaring the Yarnell Hill Wildfire a major disaster.
Brewer said the area was devastated by the June wildfire that took the lives of 19 Granite Mountain Hotshot firefighters along with more than 100 homes.
“In our opinion this is a disaster,” Brewer said. “The people of Yarnell are elderly, underinsured or without insurance. They are desperate. I ask the president to do the right thing and help these natural disaster victims rebuild their lives and move forward with the healing.”
Brewer did not specify a price tag on the cost of rebuilding Yarnell or how much in the way of federal dollars she is seeking.
Arizona Republican Rep. Paul Gosar represents the affected area and said this issue is instrumental to Arizona and the rest of the west where fires seem to be getting more devastating each year.
“I hope for a speedy appeal and we get support to the people of Yarnell and the families,” Gosar said.
Arizona U.S. House members Trent Franks, Ann Kirkpatrick and Kyrsten Sinema were also in attendance.
vernor signed the appeal documents.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development