PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer has appealed FEMA’s decision to deny declaring the Yarnell Hill Wildfire a major disaster.
Brewer said the area was devastated by the June wildfire that took the lives of 19 Granite Mountain Hotshot firefighters along with more than 100 homes.
“In our opinion this is a disaster,” Brewer said. “The people of Yarnell are elderly, underinsured or without insurance. They are desperate. I ask the president to do the right thing and help these natural disaster victims rebuild their lives and move forward with the healing.”
Brewer did not specify a price tag on the cost of rebuilding Yarnell or how much in the way of federal dollars she is seeking.
Arizona Republican Rep. Paul Gosar represents the affected area and said this issue is instrumental to Arizona and the rest of the west where fires seem to be getting more devastating each year.
“I hope for a speedy appeal and we get support to the people of Yarnell and the families,” Gosar said.
Arizona U.S. House members Trent Franks, Ann Kirkpatrick and Kyrsten Sinema were also in attendance.
vernor signed the appeal documents.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night