PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer has appealed FEMA’s decision to deny declaring the Yarnell Hill Wildfire a major disaster.
Brewer said the area was devastated by the June wildfire that took the lives of 19 Granite Mountain Hotshot firefighters along with more than 100 homes.
“In our opinion this is a disaster,” Brewer said. “The people of Yarnell are elderly, underinsured or without insurance. They are desperate. I ask the president to do the right thing and help these natural disaster victims rebuild their lives and move forward with the healing.”
Brewer did not specify a price tag on the cost of rebuilding Yarnell or how much in the way of federal dollars she is seeking.
Arizona Republican Rep. Paul Gosar represents the affected area and said this issue is instrumental to Arizona and the rest of the west where fires seem to be getting more devastating each year.
“I hope for a speedy appeal and we get support to the people of Yarnell and the families,” Gosar said.
Arizona U.S. House members Trent Franks, Ann Kirkpatrick and Kyrsten Sinema were also in attendance.
vernor signed the appeal documents.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier