PHOENIX — The Department of Public Safety made a traffic stop that led to the arrest of two men with guns and bombs.
Michael James Doyle, 30, and Christopher G. Dewey, 26, were taken into custody Aug. 27, orignally stopped after officers had seen a car nearly hit a retaining wall near U.S. 60 and 91st Avenue.
When officers stopped the car and approached it, Doyle was wearing a bulletproof vest. Officers searched the car and found a loaded AK-47, over a half-dozen improvised explosive devices, a book on making IEDs and body armor.
A search of the home of his estranged wife uncovered ammunition and an audio tape of Doyle talking about “doomsday.”
He and Dewey were booked into Maricopa County Jail, charged with misconduct with explosives, misconduct with a weapon and use of body armor during commission of a felony.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development