PHOENIX — Creative Valley high school students will soon have the opportunity to put their movie-making skills to use, thanks to the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office.
MCAO announced Tuesday that it was hosting it’s fourth bi-annual My Message video competition, in which teens can submit a 25-second public service announcement that encourages their peers to avoid criminal activity.
“Our goal is to harness the creative talents of local teens to raise awareness about problems that can carry lifelong negative consequences,” said Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery. “We’ve learned from previous editions of the My Message contest that teens tend to listen to other teens, which is why these videos are far more effective in reaching the youth in our community than traditional methods of communication by adults.”
The Fall 2013 competition will allow teens to focus on illegal drug use, underage drinking, prescription drug abuse, bullying and truancy. Students can choose one topic.
Five finalists will receive a $500 gift card and the winner will receive an Apple MacBook Pro.
The contest is open to teens between the ages of 13 and 18. The entry deadline is Nov. 11 and the winners will be announced Dec. 12.
For more information, click here.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.