PHOENIX — Creative Valley high school students will soon have the opportunity to put their movie-making skills to use, thanks to the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office.
MCAO announced Tuesday that it was hosting it’s fourth bi-annual My Message video competition, in which teens can submit a 25-second public service announcement that encourages their peers to avoid criminal activity.
“Our goal is to harness the creative talents of local teens to raise awareness about problems that can carry lifelong negative consequences,” said Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery. “We’ve learned from previous editions of the My Message contest that teens tend to listen to other teens, which is why these videos are far more effective in reaching the youth in our community than traditional methods of communication by adults.”
The Fall 2013 competition will allow teens to focus on illegal drug use, underage drinking, prescription drug abuse, bullying and truancy. Students can choose one topic.
Five finalists will receive a $500 gift card and the winner will receive an Apple MacBook Pro.
The contest is open to teens between the ages of 13 and 18. The entry deadline is Nov. 11 and the winners will be announced Dec. 12.
For more information, click here.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night