PHOENIX — The Obama administration seems to be more focused on punishing Syrian President Bashar Assad’s regime than becoming a game-changer in Syria, a former Central Intelligence Agency agent said.
Paul Kinsinger, currently with the Thunderbird School of Global Management and a former CIA agent who specialized in Middle Eastern affairs, said the Assad regime’s use of chemical weapons was clearly out of bounds and the world has drawn boundaries about the use of these weapons. He’s concerned that U.S. opposition is made up, in part, by groups that don’t have America’s best interests in mind.
“This has made it more difficult for the U.S. to make the case to get involved in Syria earlier,” he said. “That opposition is fragmented and there’s easy player to pick and ally around.”
Kinsinger believes the Obama Administration wants to punish the Assad regime but not to the point of making a serious change in that country’s civil war. Kinsinger said there could be serious repercussions to military action by the U.S.
“This could range from terrorist attacks on the United States or a missile launch into Israel as Saddam Hussein did during the first Gulf War,” he said. “Iran could get into this as could Hezbollah. The administration has contingency plans for these possibilities but there’s no way to predict what could happen.”
Kinsinger said Syria’s chief importance to the U.S. is location. It is bordered by countries the United States cares about: Jordan, Turkey, Iraq and Lebanon.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets