PHOENIX — Maricopa County Animal Care and Control has introduced a new service that may help owners locate lost pets: An interactive mapping tool.
“You type in your info, and the map will pop up,” said Maricopa County Animal Care and Control Spokeswoman Melissa Gable. “It will have a series of dots, which represent dogs, and a series of triangles, which represent cats.”
You top in either an exact address or the major cross streets in the area where you think your pet was lost. A little window will pop up with a picture of a pet that was recovered in the area, along with a description of the animal and the date that it was brought to the shelter.
The tool went online Tuesday. However, Gable said one man was reunited with his two dogs while the system was in the testing stage. When the man showed up at the shelter Saturday saying he had lost his pit bull and a husky near the intersection of 67th Avenue and Indian School, she decided to test the system. Once they typed the information on the website, a picture of one of the dogs popped up on the website. Gable and the man went back to the kennel and found both dogs.
Gable said the dogs “went ballistic” with joy when they saw their owner.
The county believes the tool is the first of its kind to be introduced.
To explore the mapping tool, click here.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food