PHOENIX — Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne won a $250,000 settlement against several Arizona companies convicted of credit card fraud, his office announced in a press release.
The companies, National Bankcard Monitor and Financial Interest Strategies and their owner, Gino Niccoli, took money from thousands of customers nationwide between April 2010 and November 2012 and promised them a lower interest rate on credit cards.
“Customers complained that the telemarketers pretended to be affiliated with their credit card companies and made a money-back guarantee that they would lower their interest rates on their credit cards,” Horne said. “The companies’ real product was merely an accelerated payoff plan, recommending that customers pay off their highest interest debts first.”
For example, the company said it charged $1,499 to lower interest rates and would save consumers $2,000 to $5,000 in charges. Rather than actually dropping interest rates, the company used a program that would pay off the highest interest debts first.
Anyone who paid for service from the companies should contact Horne’s office by calling (602) 542-5763 in the Phoenix area, (520) 628-6504 in Tucson or (800) 352-8431 nationwide.
To file a claim online or for more information, click here.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier