PHOENIX — Arizona Democratic Congressmen Ron Barber and Ed Pastor said President Barack Obama did the right thing by asking Congress to weigh in on possible military action in Syria.
Barber, of Tucson, said the United States must be careful with Syria and he wants more information before he makes his decision on U.S. action there.
“There’s so much we don’t know that is classified. I’m looking forward to the briefings and reading the material before I reach a decision,” Barber said. “Then we have to debate what makes sense. I want to know exactly what happened and who perpetrated the chemical warfare. I want to know what the President wants to do. And I want to know what the consequences are beyond the intervention in Syria.”
Barber said the vote for or against military action will be the most important decision he will make as a member of Congress so far.
Pastor, of Phoenix, said he believes that Britain’s refusal to support U.S. military action in Syria is behind the president’s decision to bring Congress into the decisionmaking process.
Pastor wants to know more specifics about the military action before he makes his decision.
“I want to know how limited it is and what will the effect will be. There are consequences and sometimes unintended consequences are bigger than what you planned for,” he said.
Congress returned to the nation’s capital Monday from summer recess and Pastor won’t speculate on when the House and Senate will decide whether the U.S. should take action in Syria.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food