PHOENIX — Arizona Democratic Congressmen Ron Barber and Ed Pastor said President Barack Obama did the right thing by asking Congress to weigh in on possible military action in Syria.
Barber, of Tucson, said the United States must be careful with Syria and he wants more information before he makes his decision on U.S. action there.
“There’s so much we don’t know that is classified. I’m looking forward to the briefings and reading the material before I reach a decision,” Barber said. “Then we have to debate what makes sense. I want to know exactly what happened and who perpetrated the chemical warfare. I want to know what the President wants to do. And I want to know what the consequences are beyond the intervention in Syria.”
Barber said the vote for or against military action will be the most important decision he will make as a member of Congress so far.
Pastor, of Phoenix, said he believes that Britain’s refusal to support U.S. military action in Syria is behind the president’s decision to bring Congress into the decisionmaking process.
Pastor wants to know more specifics about the military action before he makes his decision.
“I want to know how limited it is and what will the effect will be. There are consequences and sometimes unintended consequences are bigger than what you planned for,” he said.
Congress returned to the nation’s capital Monday from summer recess and Pastor won’t speculate on when the House and Senate will decide whether the U.S. should take action in Syria.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier