Arizona’s economy has the potential to flourish if consumers decide to spend more of their money on locally owned businesses, according to Erica Pederson, communications coordinator for Local First Arizona.
While speaking with KTAR 92.3 FM’s Mac and Gaydos on Friday, Pederson said more local businesses are beginning to sprout up as the state recovers from the recent recession.
“Businesses are finding that financing has become a lot easier to get a hold of,” she said. “There are still challenges but we are seeing that things are improving.”
Pederson said financing options aren’t the only factor helping local companies. She said that as Arizona moves forward, local businesses will thrive as people in the state become more selective of where they buy products.
“People are becoming more conscious about how they’re spending their money, which is great,” she siad. “All we ask is that you shift 10 percent of what you spend into local businesses, and that can create thousands of dollars in economic revenue for our communities and also create thousands of jobs.”
As for attracting out-of-state companies into the greater Phoenix market, Pederson cites a low chance of natural disasters and a continually growing population as attractive reasons for them to move or expand their businesses to the region.
Pederson said her company’s website, LocalFirstAZ.com, has a directory of more than 2,300 businesses that are certified as locally owned, and that consumers can start there when looking to support hometown companies.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident