PHOENIX — Students who volunteered during the summer are no longer available, and holiday helpers have not yet signed up at St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance.
Toss in the dip in donations while people are on vacation and Jerry Brown says their canned food supply is probably at their lowest level of the year.
“September is the time we really need some folks to step forward and help us,” Brown said.
Thanks to their buying power, Brown noted that they can turn a $1 donation into seven meals.
“One in five people in the state and one in four children go to bed not knowing where their next meal is coming from.”
September is designated as “Hunger Action Month”. The Chase Bank tower in downtown Phoenix will glow orange on Thursday nights to raise awareness. Several Valley companies and groups are holding food drives and offering deals for people who donate canned food. St. Mary’s has also created a calendar of events.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments