PHOENIX — Students who volunteered during the summer are no longer available, and holiday helpers have not yet signed up at St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance.
Toss in the dip in donations while people are on vacation and Jerry Brown says their canned food supply is probably at their lowest level of the year.
“September is the time we really need some folks to step forward and help us,” Brown said.
Thanks to their buying power, Brown noted that they can turn a $1 donation into seven meals.
“One in five people in the state and one in four children go to bed not knowing where their next meal is coming from.”
September is designated as “Hunger Action Month”. The Chase Bank tower in downtown Phoenix will glow orange on Thursday nights to raise awareness. Several Valley companies and groups are holding food drives and offering deals for people who donate canned food. St. Mary’s has also created a calendar of events.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food