PHOENIX — Students who volunteered during the summer are no longer available, and holiday helpers have not yet signed up at St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance.
Toss in the dip in donations while people are on vacation and Jerry Brown says their canned food supply is probably at their lowest level of the year.
“September is the time we really need some folks to step forward and help us,” Brown said.
Thanks to their buying power, Brown noted that they can turn a $1 donation into seven meals.
“One in five people in the state and one in four children go to bed not knowing where their next meal is coming from.”
September is designated as “Hunger Action Month”. The Chase Bank tower in downtown Phoenix will glow orange on Thursday nights to raise awareness. Several Valley companies and groups are holding food drives and offering deals for people who donate canned food. St. Mary’s has also created a calendar of events.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development