PHOENIX — Arizona lost about 300,000 jobs during the recession. Most of which occurred in the construction field.
But speaking at an AFL-CIO breakfast Monday, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said the city is on the way back in a big way.
“In terms of job creation, Phoenix is the fastest growing recovery economy in the nation,” Stanton said. “But let’s be honest, that was off a very low base. We were hammered during the recession and there’s a lot of people suffering.”
Because too many people still remain unemployed or underemployed, Stanton noted that there’s no cause for celebration until everyone benefits in this recovering economy.
The unions also voiced several concerns at the Labor Day breakfast, among them was the huge drop in household income from $64,000 in 2000 to $55,000 dollars in 2013 and the fact that the average CEO earned 354 times the average wage of a U.S. worker last year.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon