Arizona State University will host the Wisconsin Badgers at Sun Devil Stadium Sept. 14, and the Sun Devils will be wearing the number 19 decal on their helmets and the victory bell will ring 19 times.
Bill Kennedy, ASU’s Associate Athletic Director says team captains will bring out a jersey with the number 19 for the coin toss.
“We’ve asked Wisconsin to take part in this as well and they will bring out a jersey with the number 19 as well.”
ASU mascot Sparky will do 19 pushups every time the Sun Devils score.
First responders will get discounted tickets as well with a special promo code, and ASU is teaming up with the 100 Club of Arizona who will be at the game raising money for scholarship funds for the families of first responders who’ve been lost.
“The decision making process was really about what is the right thing to do,” said Kennedy. “Especially for those who gave their lives, not only the Granite Mountain Hotshots but the other fallen first responders.”
Among the first responders to be honored are DPS Officer Tim Huffman, Phoenix Firefighter Bradley Harper and Phoenix Police Officer Daryl Raetz. All were lost in the past year.
The ASU men’s and women’s basketball teams will have first responders nights as well during their respective seasons.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night