PHOENIX — A Phoenix woman has been displaced from her home after a fast-moving condominium fire broke out Sunday afternoon.
When fire crews arrived on the scene, near 19th Avenue and Cactus Road, flames had already spread into neighboring units.
They were able to contain the fire to one unit, with minimal damage to nearby homes, according to Captain Larry Nunez with the Phoenix Fire Department.
Nunez said the woman and a pet escaped the building without injury. He said they don’t yet know if the home’s smoke detector was working properly, but the incident is a good reminder for others.
“We always recommend that if citizens have a smoke detector in their home, they make sure it is in working order,” he said.
Crews are still investigating the cause of the fire.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night