When Jerry Colangelo came to the Valley in 1968, he saw an opportunity for both physical and cultural growth.
The Chicago native envisioned a city with a thriving downtown that offered the finest forms of art, entertainment and sports.
Nearly 45 years later, the former Arizona Diamondbacks and Phoenix Suns owner and CEO can proudly say that his dream — in some shape or form — has come to fruition.
Phoenix has four professional sports teams, a sustainable downtown with plenty of restaurants and theaters to boot. And people have come. People have most certainly come.
According to the latest numbers from the U.S. Census Bureau, the Valley is the 13th largest metropolitan area in the U.S., so the question is how does it grow in stature and in popularity to be on par with the likes of Chicago, Los Angeles and Philadelphia?
“We refine who we are,” Colangelo told 92.3 KTAR’s Rob and Karie Friday. “We do things better. We have planned communities rather than out-and-out sprawl. I think that’s important, to do things in a more systematic way.
“The fact is, we’re going to come close to doubling in population over the next 20 years, at least that’s what some are predicting. We need to be ready. We need infrastructure. We need plans. We need people willing to commit themselves with vision. Someone else needs to take the rope, the reins if you will and do some real good master planning, so that we can maximize the opportunities that are going to be in Arizona.”
Colangelo noted that the Arizona Commerce Authority, which he’s heavily involved with, has done an excellent job taking that next step by putting the state in an excellent position to land employees from major companies like State Farm.
“We just have to be aggressive and competitive,” said Colangelo. “If you want to compete, you need to have tools. I think we have the tools to do that.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas