PHOENIX — Before you fire up the barbeque this Labor Day weekend, make sure it’s in good working order, and that you know what you’re doing.
That’s the message from the Phoenix Fire Department. They respond to hundreds of barbeque fires every year, and they don’t want a repeat of a fatal fire that happened last Labor Day.
“We had a 13-year-old child who went out to light a grill,” said Phoenix Fire Captain Jonathan Jacobs. “He actually didn’t know what type of fluid that he was putting on the grill. It happened to be gasoline. That was a fatality fire for him.”
Jacobs said if you’re using propane, make sure your propane tank is upright, and that the hose that comes from the tank to the grill isn’t cracked and is in good shape.
He also demonstrated that if you wait too long after turning the propane on, a flame could shoot up when you light the grill. That’s what happened to him only five seconds after turning the propane on.
“You’re going to get a major explosion of that gas that’s just pocketing in your grill area,” Jacobs said.
He said that if you use charcoal, always soak the coals with water after you’re done cooking.
The Phoenix Fire Department has other barbeque safety tips at http://phoenix.gov/fire/safety/outdoor/bbq/.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them