PHOENIX — Before you fire up the barbeque this Labor Day weekend, make sure it’s in good working order, and that you know what you’re doing.
That’s the message from the Phoenix Fire Department. They respond to hundreds of barbeque fires every year, and they don’t want a repeat of a fatal fire that happened last Labor Day.
“We had a 13-year-old child who went out to light a grill,” said Phoenix Fire Captain Jonathan Jacobs. “He actually didn’t know what type of fluid that he was putting on the grill. It happened to be gasoline. That was a fatality fire for him.”
Jacobs said if you’re using propane, make sure your propane tank is upright, and that the hose that comes from the tank to the grill isn’t cracked and is in good shape.
He also demonstrated that if you wait too long after turning the propane on, a flame could shoot up when you light the grill. That’s what happened to him only five seconds after turning the propane on.
“You’re going to get a major explosion of that gas that’s just pocketing in your grill area,” Jacobs said.
He said that if you use charcoal, always soak the coals with water after you’re done cooking.
The Phoenix Fire Department has other barbeque safety tips at http://phoenix.gov/fire/safety/outdoor/bbq/.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night