PHOENIX — Before you fire up the barbeque this Labor Day weekend, make sure it’s in good working order, and that you know what you’re doing.
That’s the message from the Phoenix Fire Department. They respond to hundreds of barbeque fires every year, and they don’t want a repeat of a fatal fire that happened last Labor Day.
“We had a 13-year-old child who went out to light a grill,” said Phoenix Fire Captain Jonathan Jacobs. “He actually didn’t know what type of fluid that he was putting on the grill. It happened to be gasoline. That was a fatality fire for him.”
Jacobs said if you’re using propane, make sure your propane tank is upright, and that the hose that comes from the tank to the grill isn’t cracked and is in good shape.
He also demonstrated that if you wait too long after turning the propane on, a flame could shoot up when you light the grill. That’s what happened to him only five seconds after turning the propane on.
“You’re going to get a major explosion of that gas that’s just pocketing in your grill area,” Jacobs said.
He said that if you use charcoal, always soak the coals with water after you’re done cooking.
The Phoenix Fire Department has other barbeque safety tips at http://phoenix.gov/fire/safety/outdoor/bbq/.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier