Rep. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona released a statement Friday saying she wants more time regarding Syria and for Congress to be more involved in the U.S.’s decision to strike.
Sinema said Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime’s use of chemical weapons against civilians “demand attention from the world community.”
However, Sinema said she sees no reason for an immediate attack in Syria. She said she wants the White House to share more information about its intentions before Congress decides whether action is needed in the Middle Eastern country.
“Like many Americans, I await specific information detailing what potential action the administration is considering. I intend to evaluate whether any proposed action will protect and advance American goals and interests once I have been briefed by national security officials.
“The international community supports the Syrian people’s aspirations for freedom, democracy and dignity. However, I have serious concerns that greater involvement – such as a military strike – may force the United States into a larger military role, putting our servicemembers in harm’s way. Given the limited information that has been provided thus far, I believe there is no guarantee that such risk will produce a positive outcome for the safety and security of our country.
“The President and the administration should provide a classified briefing to all members of Congress, not just key officials, and I expect such an update to allow time for questions and detailed answers. My colleagues and I require the facts in order to develop informed opinions about the best course of action ahead, and the American people expect their elected representatives to have all the available information when considering issues of this magnitude.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets