PHOENIX — A new Arizona program is focusing on helping teens quit smoking.
The program is called “The Cignal” and it’s the first ever “quit while you can” program that has been rolled out in Arizona.
“The Cignal has the potential to forever change young lives,” Arizona Smokers’ Helpline and THE CIGNAL director Stephen Michael said. “It can help reverse the trend among those who graduate from casual smokers to permanent smokers.”
It’s believed that about 17 percent of Arizona kids use tobacco products and at least half have no intentions of quitting. Also, about 90 percent of adult smokers said they were already addicted by the time they hit 18.
Most young smokers do not view themselves as daily smokers, especially if they don’t take a drag everyday.
“When we counsel young adults we stress that quitting will take time and they have the ability to achieve their goal,” Michael said. “We may encourage them to abandon social circles that sustain their tobacco use, and we may also encourage them to enlist friends and, if possible, family who support their desire quit. The Cignal maximizes existing resources and is developing best practices to help adolescent and young adult smokers in Arizona.”
For more information, go to TheCIGnal.com or call (800) 556-6222.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments