FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) – US Airways and American Airlines are extending their merger deadline by at least a month to wait for the outcome of an antitrust lawsuit filed by the federal government.
That trial is scheduled to begin Nov. 25. The airlines’ original agreement allowed either side to call off the merger after Dec. 17, but there might not be a verdict in the trial by then. The new agreement extends the merger deadline to Jan. 18 or later, depending on when the court rules.
The airlines were within weeks of closing their deal when the U.S. Justice Department sued in August to stop the merger, saying that it would hurt competition and boost prices. The airlines argue that other mergers were allowed to go forward and that their merger would create a stronger competitor to bigger rivals United and Delta.
The airlines also confirmed that they dropped an agreement to pay Tom Horton, the CEO of American parent AMR Corp., nearly $20 million in severance. If the merger is completed, he would step aside soon afterward while US Airways Group Inc. CEO Doug Parker runs the combined company.
The judge in AMR’s bankruptcy case ruled this month that the payment to Horton would violate bankruptcy law.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon