PHOENIX — When it comes to getting Hollywood movies to film in Arizona, we’re on an island of our own.
“Out here, we don’t have a film incentive anymore,” City of Phoenix Film Office Program Manager Phil Bradstock told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Thursday. “We did have a film incentive from 2006 through 2010 and we saw about 56 projects come out here and they spent about $110 million in the state of Arizona.”
When Hollywood location scouts are checking out possible filming sites, the lack of incentives pretty much eliminates Arizona.
“Now Arizona is largely off the table for consideration for very large projects, like big Hollywood ones,” said Bradstock, adding that Arizona is surrounded by states that offer incentives.
Arizona’s numerous climates and settings have been used in films of the past and likely could draw studios, but it all comes down to the bottom line.
“The big carrot is going to be tax incentives,” said Bradstock.
There has been a push over the past four years to bring back a program to offer cuts to filmmakers, something Bradford said would easily benefit the state.
“This is a state that, I think, traditionally doesn’t offer a lot of incentives just for any industry, but there have been reports that have been done based upon the incentive, what was proposed where it would actually bring money back to the state coffers,” he said.
Bradford said Arizona should focus on landing television series if it can, as the constant need to film new episodes will continuously pump money into the economy compared to a one-and-done film.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident