PHOENIX — When it comes to getting Hollywood movies to film in Arizona, we’re on an island of our own.
“Out here, we don’t have a film incentive anymore,” City of Phoenix Film Office Program Manager Phil Bradstock told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Thursday. “We did have a film incentive from 2006 through 2010 and we saw about 56 projects come out here and they spent about $110 million in the state of Arizona.”
When Hollywood location scouts are checking out possible filming sites, the lack of incentives pretty much eliminates Arizona.
“Now Arizona is largely off the table for consideration for very large projects, like big Hollywood ones,” said Bradstock, adding that Arizona is surrounded by states that offer incentives.
Arizona’s numerous climates and settings have been used in films of the past and likely could draw studios, but it all comes down to the bottom line.
“The big carrot is going to be tax incentives,” said Bradstock.
There has been a push over the past four years to bring back a program to offer cuts to filmmakers, something Bradford said would easily benefit the state.
“This is a state that, I think, traditionally doesn’t offer a lot of incentives just for any industry, but there have been reports that have been done based upon the incentive, what was proposed where it would actually bring money back to the state coffers,” he said.
Bradford said Arizona should focus on landing television series if it can, as the constant need to film new episodes will continuously pump money into the economy compared to a one-and-done film.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident
- Cindy McCain talks Syrians refugees’ plight, trafficking in Arizona