PHOENIX — A better and diversified economy will lead more Arizona college graduates to stay in the state, the former president of Arizona State University said.
“The more we can diversify and strengthen the economy, the more it will be attractive for them to not only stay for here for their first job, but to stay here for their careers,” said Dr. Lattie Coor, who is also the chairman and CEO for the Center for the Future of Arizona.
Citing a Gallup poll, Coor said that all Arizonans want more diverse options, but diversity would be the key to opening up jobs for young graduates who want more jobs.
“They really would like to see greater diversity in the job opportunities that are here,” he said. “Diversity including more good-paying jobs, diversity in terms of things that not only will keep our young people here after they graduate from college but provide opportunities to them to go on up the ladder where they are, but diversity in terms of the array of skills and activities that the jobs themselves represent.”
Currently, Coor said many students who graduate from an Arizona school are “more than pleased” to take their first job in the state. As an example, Coor cited Intel, which hires more graduates from ASU than any other school.
When it comes to growing the economy, Coor said that Arizona has many tools in place — such as bioscience, health care and aerospace — that will help the state recover. As the economy improves, more students will be needed to fill those jobs, creating a cycle that hires Arizona graduates gives them the opportunities the need and will raise the education levels of those graduates.
“A stronger economy will pay the bills, a strong economy will build the tax base, a stronger economy will allow us to invest in education at a level that makes us truly competitive with other parts of the nation and the world and it all, in a sense, reinforces one another as it goes forward.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets