PHOENIX — If you’re booking a flight for Thanksgiving, it might be a good idea to do it soon.
KTAR travel expert Louie Thiele said there could be some Thanksgiving price wars among airlines starting next month. On top of the usual war, there could be a “fly in the ointment, and that has to do with all of the activity going on in the middle east and the price of oil.”
Thiele said the crisis in Syria could lead to higher fuel costs and that may affect any Thanksgiving airline deals. If you book your airline flights now, you could avoid paying higher prices because of fuel.
Booking now could also save you some other headaches. Thiele said it’s easier to get the flight you want leaving Phoenix than it is coming back because some travelers leaving town may do it as early as the weekend prior to Thanksgiving and there may be a greater selection of flights leaving town.
Coming back may be different. Thiele said most people will be trying to fly back on either Friday or Saturday, and that could make it tougher for you to get a flight. If you try to book a Sunday flight, you will be competing with business travelers who will be trying to get to their destinations on time to get to work on Monday.
Theile said one way you may be able to save money is by booking a connecting flight to your destination instead of a direct one.
“Connections are almost always cheaper than non-stops,” he said. “Also, the earlier flights of the day are usually the least expensive. People don’t want to get up for a 6 a.m. flight, but it can usually save you about $100 each way.”
Theile also said you may be able to find deals on travel websites like kayak.com.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick