PHOENIX — If you’re booking a flight for Thanksgiving, it might be a good idea to do it soon.
KTAR travel expert Louie Thiele said there could be some Thanksgiving price wars among airlines starting next month. On top of the usual war, there could be a “fly in the ointment, and that has to do with all of the activity going on in the middle east and the price of oil.”
Thiele said the crisis in Syria could lead to higher fuel costs and that may affect any Thanksgiving airline deals. If you book your airline flights now, you could avoid paying higher prices because of fuel.
Booking now could also save you some other headaches. Thiele said it’s easier to get the flight you want leaving Phoenix than it is coming back because some travelers leaving town may do it as early as the weekend prior to Thanksgiving and there may be a greater selection of flights leaving town.
Coming back may be different. Thiele said most people will be trying to fly back on either Friday or Saturday, and that could make it tougher for you to get a flight. If you try to book a Sunday flight, you will be competing with business travelers who will be trying to get to their destinations on time to get to work on Monday.
Theile said one way you may be able to save money is by booking a connecting flight to your destination instead of a direct one.
“Connections are almost always cheaper than non-stops,” he said. “Also, the earlier flights of the day are usually the least expensive. People don’t want to get up for a 6 a.m. flight, but it can usually save you about $100 each way.”
Theile also said you may be able to find deals on travel websites like kayak.com.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night