PHOENIX — If you’re booking a flight for Thanksgiving, it might be a good idea to do it soon.
KTAR travel expert Louie Thiele said there could be some Thanksgiving price wars among airlines starting next month. On top of the usual war, there could be a “fly in the ointment, and that has to do with all of the activity going on in the middle east and the price of oil.”
Thiele said the crisis in Syria could lead to higher fuel costs and that may affect any Thanksgiving airline deals. If you book your airline flights now, you could avoid paying higher prices because of fuel.
Booking now could also save you some other headaches. Thiele said it’s easier to get the flight you want leaving Phoenix than it is coming back because some travelers leaving town may do it as early as the weekend prior to Thanksgiving and there may be a greater selection of flights leaving town.
Coming back may be different. Thiele said most people will be trying to fly back on either Friday or Saturday, and that could make it tougher for you to get a flight. If you try to book a Sunday flight, you will be competing with business travelers who will be trying to get to their destinations on time to get to work on Monday.
Theile said one way you may be able to save money is by booking a connecting flight to your destination instead of a direct one.
“Connections are almost always cheaper than non-stops,” he said. “Also, the earlier flights of the day are usually the least expensive. People don’t want to get up for a 6 a.m. flight, but it can usually save you about $100 each way.”
Theile also said you may be able to find deals on travel websites like kayak.com.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America