Barry Broome, president and CEO of the Greater Phoenix Economic Council, recently said he’d call the Valley the “Digital Desert” if he had to put a label on the area’s business environment.
While on the Rob and Karie Show Wednesday, Broome elaborated on that label.
“This market’s already the No. 1 or No. 2 market in the United States at hosting and storing data,” he said. “So our data storage capabilities around the Valley are arguably the best in the United States.”
Broome said there are more than 6,200 “digital” companies in the greater Phoenix market. He said he works to enhance this industry so he can better attract companies from other markets and build a brand for the Valley.
“We (Valley business leaders) think the notion of us being branded around a contemporary technology that we’re world class in is an important part of the conversation,” he said.
But the digital companies aren’t the only ones fueling greater Phoenix’s economy, he said.
“This market is driven by aerospace and defense competencies, driven by engineering, driven by electronics, software and health care excellence,” Broome said.
He said that local universities will have to continue to produce the right kinds of highly skilled workers for which employers look. He added that one obstacle the Valley faces is a decline in innovation, citing the contraction of Motorola as well as sequestration and defense cuts that have hurt the region’s aerospace and defense sector.
“We’re going to have to be more purposeful and capable in our knowledge and innovation platform,” Broome said, referring to how Valley leaders should shape their economic development plans.
Even though the greater Phoenix market has seen a strong growth in the digital sector, he said local leaders should work to develop other industries as well.
“If you sit too long on a technology sector, you ride it down, just like Michigan did cars,” Broome said, also pointing to Motorola again as a local example.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets