PHOENIX — When it comes to the economy in Maricopa County, there is one factor that will make or break the next five years, a Realtor said.
“Affordable housing is the most important issue affecting the economic development of Maricopa County in the next five years,” West USA Realty Operations Officer and former president of Southeast Valley Regional Association of Realtors Todd Menard told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Show on Wednesday.
Menard said the Valley currently has about 19,000 homes available, far below the 45,000 needed to maintain a normal supply. This has created a seller’s market, driving prices up and also increasing available interest rates.
“The biggest issue right now is that obviously there are few homes available,” he said. “We’re suffering from a small amount of inventory.”
However, this runs in contrast to many national reports that Phoenix is still fighting its way out of the Great Recession.
“Phoenix, much like most of the Sun Belt right now, is actually already recovered,” said Menard. “It started recovering a year-and-a-half ago.”
Menard said new programs that allow boomerang buyers — those who lost their home through foreclosure or short sale — have helped flood the market with new buyers, but all of those buyers have different circumstances that Realtors have to work with.
“Everybody has a different scenario and each individual has different sets of criteria, credit, income, debt and, of course, they need to talk to a qualified mortgage professional,” he said.
When it comes to getting boomerang buyers back in homes, Menard said the sooner they take action, the better.
“The people need to begin finding out where their individual position is, what it takes for them to get from here to tomorrow to get back into the game.”
Menard said the estimates show that Maricopa County will boast a population of about 4.5 million by 2020. Currently, about 3.75 million live in the county.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon