PHOENIX — It’s been a half-century to the day since Dr. Martin Luther King mesmerized the country with “I Have a Dream” speech during the March on Washington.
At a commemorative breakfast Wednesday morning at the downtown Hyatt, Gene Blue, who is the chairman of Arizona’s Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Committee, said significant progress has been made nationally and locally since 1963.
“Anyone who thinks we are truly ‘free’ at last really needs top take another look,” he said.
Blue pointed to Arizona SB 1070 and other get-tough measures on illegal immigration as proof that there is still a way to go.
“It was not unification legislation. It was a division.”
Andy Hardin vividly remembers that day. She took part in the historic event.
“I wanted to be in the know. I had parents that didn’t want us to go into that, so we snuck out. We came home with a whole new concept about life in general.”
She said it’s hard to believe 50 years has flown by so quickly.
“African-Americans have progressed far beyond what we believed would happen back in 1963. People need life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We will get there eventually. It’s a matter of when and how.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night