PHOENIX — It’s been a half-century to the day since Dr. Martin Luther King mesmerized the country with “I Have a Dream” speech during the March on Washington.
At a commemorative breakfast Wednesday morning at the downtown Hyatt, Gene Blue, who is the chairman of Arizona’s Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Committee, said significant progress has been made nationally and locally since 1963.
“Anyone who thinks we are truly ‘free’ at last really needs top take another look,” he said.
Blue pointed to Arizona SB 1070 and other get-tough measures on illegal immigration as proof that there is still a way to go.
“It was not unification legislation. It was a division.”
Andy Hardin vividly remembers that day. She took part in the historic event.
“I wanted to be in the know. I had parents that didn’t want us to go into that, so we snuck out. We came home with a whole new concept about life in general.”
She said it’s hard to believe 50 years has flown by so quickly.
“African-Americans have progressed far beyond what we believed would happen back in 1963. People need life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We will get there eventually. It’s a matter of when and how.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets