PHOENIX — You might want to watch who you friend on Facebook because creditors are watching.
Two technology companies said they can find out if your Facebook friends have bad credit, and that your association with those people lead a potential lender to think that you are just as much of a credit risk as they are, which could prevent you from getting a loan.
Lenddo and Kreditech, two financial companies who claim they can use Facebook to check credit, said they can use “massive computing power” to check out your friends and determine your credit worthiness.
Mike Sullivan of the Take Charge America credit counseling service said the companies’ claims are possible, but he doesn’t think you should worry about it.
“That kind of guilt by association strikes me as a bit of a stretch,” he said. “I really don’t see it. I can’t believe that that’s a very important factor for very many people.”
Sullivan thinks the Facebook threats are nothing more than a publicity stunt.
“I had never even heard of them. My guess is they’re thinking is that this is a good way to get some attention.”
Sullivan believes banks and other lending institutions will keep using legitimate credit reporting agencies to check out your credit and decide whether to give you a loan.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again