PHOENIX — You might want to watch who you friend on Facebook because creditors are watching.
Two technology companies said they can find out if your Facebook friends have bad credit, and that your association with those people lead a potential lender to think that you are just as much of a credit risk as they are, which could prevent you from getting a loan.
Lenddo and Kreditech, two financial companies who claim they can use Facebook to check credit, said they can use “massive computing power” to check out your friends and determine your credit worthiness.
Mike Sullivan of the Take Charge America credit counseling service said the companies’ claims are possible, but he doesn’t think you should worry about it.
“That kind of guilt by association strikes me as a bit of a stretch,” he said. “I really don’t see it. I can’t believe that that’s a very important factor for very many people.”
Sullivan thinks the Facebook threats are nothing more than a publicity stunt.
“I had never even heard of them. My guess is they’re thinking is that this is a good way to get some attention.”
Sullivan believes banks and other lending institutions will keep using legitimate credit reporting agencies to check out your credit and decide whether to give you a loan.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier