PHOENIX — Developing a thriving downtown doesn’t happen overnight, a city of Gilbert official said.
“I think over the last 20 years there’s been considerable emphasis on a master plan and a vision of developing the downtown…with the focus on redevelopment and developing our downtown,” Real Estate and Economic Development Director for the town of Gilbert Dan Henderson told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Tuesday.
Henderson said a focus on small businesses, especially restaurants, has led to a “tremendous amount of excitement” in downtown.
That excitement has led to St. Xavier University, a Chicago-based Catholic college, to open its first campus outside of Illinois in Gilbert.
“I think it was just the overall opportunity with a high education attainment rate in the town of Gilbert and certainly the surrounding areas; a lot of momentum built through our state colleges and universities and I think that the opportunity to bring in a faith-based institution was really compelling for them.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident
- Cindy McCain talks Syrians refugees’ plight, trafficking in Arizona