PHOENIX — Developing a thriving downtown doesn’t happen overnight, a city of Gilbert official said.
“I think over the last 20 years there’s been considerable emphasis on a master plan and a vision of developing the downtown…with the focus on redevelopment and developing our downtown,” Real Estate and Economic Development Director for the town of Gilbert Dan Henderson told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Tuesday.
Henderson said a focus on small businesses, especially restaurants, has led to a “tremendous amount of excitement” in downtown.
That excitement has led to St. Xavier University, a Chicago-based Catholic college, to open its first campus outside of Illinois in Gilbert.
“I think it was just the overall opportunity with a high education attainment rate in the town of Gilbert and certainly the surrounding areas; a lot of momentum built through our state colleges and universities and I think that the opportunity to bring in a faith-based institution was really compelling for them.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident