PHOENIX — Developing a thriving downtown doesn’t happen overnight, a city of Gilbert official said.
“I think over the last 20 years there’s been considerable emphasis on a master plan and a vision of developing the downtown…with the focus on redevelopment and developing our downtown,” Real Estate and Economic Development Director for the town of Gilbert Dan Henderson told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Tuesday.
Henderson said a focus on small businesses, especially restaurants, has led to a “tremendous amount of excitement” in downtown.
That excitement has led to St. Xavier University, a Chicago-based Catholic college, to open its first campus outside of Illinois in Gilbert.
“I think it was just the overall opportunity with a high education attainment rate in the town of Gilbert and certainly the surrounding areas; a lot of momentum built through our state colleges and universities and I think that the opportunity to bring in a faith-based institution was really compelling for them.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Ducey faces pressure, backlash during fight to overhaul K-12 education
- Four months into office, Paul Penzone works to shake predecessor’s legacy
- Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema: ‘It’s my job’ to attend Trump inauguration
- Arizona. Gov. Doug Ducey to push for teacher raises in upcoming months
- Gov. Doug Ducey: I approve of border wall ‘as long as it benefits Arizona’