PHOENIX — When it comes to Obamacare, small businesses in Arizona are wasting their time figuring it out, an economist said.
“What’s really a shame is this is non-productive time being spent,” National Federation of Independent Business Arizona State Director Farrell Quinlan told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Tuesday. “This is not a small business going out there and figuring out a way to serve their customers better and build a better mousetrap. This is all, in effect, wasted on trying to figure out this new law.”
Quinlan said a lot of small business are concerned about the cost of the Affordable Care Act and are becoming perplexed about the delays and small implementations the law has undergone so far.
“We are seeing a number of our small businesses wondering what’s the new landscape going to be in healthcare and government regulation,” he said. “It’s one of the top concerns they have, the uncertainty out there.”
The largest concern with Obamacare in regards to the economy is businesses who can’t afford the higher premiums to hire more temporary and part-time workers, something Quinlan said is documented. The problem? Those workers are likely to put in more hours with zero gain.
“What you’ll find happening is that people will be given 25 hours of work for one job, they’ll get a second job, get another 25 hours, end up working 50 hours — more than they would before — and they’re not getting any of the benefits,” he said, adding that his agency is working to get the full-time employee status set at 40 hours per week instead of 30.
Quinlan said the NFIB has tools to help businesses wade through the 2,500-page law and the more than 19,000 pages of regulations.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development