PHOENIX — When it comes to Obamacare, small businesses in Arizona are wasting their time figuring it out, an economist said.
“What’s really a shame is this is non-productive time being spent,” National Federation of Independent Business Arizona State Director Farrell Quinlan told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Tuesday. “This is not a small business going out there and figuring out a way to serve their customers better and build a better mousetrap. This is all, in effect, wasted on trying to figure out this new law.”
Quinlan said a lot of small business are concerned about the cost of the Affordable Care Act and are becoming perplexed about the delays and small implementations the law has undergone so far.
“We are seeing a number of our small businesses wondering what’s the new landscape going to be in healthcare and government regulation,” he said. “It’s one of the top concerns they have, the uncertainty out there.”
The largest concern with Obamacare in regards to the economy is businesses who can’t afford the higher premiums to hire more temporary and part-time workers, something Quinlan said is documented. The problem? Those workers are likely to put in more hours with zero gain.
“What you’ll find happening is that people will be given 25 hours of work for one job, they’ll get a second job, get another 25 hours, end up working 50 hours — more than they would before — and they’re not getting any of the benefits,” he said, adding that his agency is working to get the full-time employee status set at 40 hours per week instead of 30.
Quinlan said the NFIB has tools to help businesses wade through the 2,500-page law and the more than 19,000 pages of regulations.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food