PHOENIX — Doctors at Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix are hoping a new cell phone video game will help young football players stay safe.
It’s called “Barrow Brain Ball,” and is designed to teach the players how to avoid concussions.
“Athletes can participate in video game in which they move around and gain points by avoiding concussions,” said Dr. Javier Cardenas.
“It focuses on the things that you can do to reduce your chance of concussion,” Cardenas said. “Those include making sure that the helmet is fitted properly, making sure your equipment is safe and making sure that you’re avoiding a collision with other players.”
If the players do get tackled in the video game, Cardenas said they have a lot of things to overcome to continue playing the game.
“If they get struck by another athlete, there are simulated classroom settings in which they have to go and learn about concussion symptoms and signs,” he said.
The game, played through an app, will be available on Android and iPhones this week.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets