PHOENIX — Doctors at Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix are hoping a new cell phone video game will help young football players stay safe.
It’s called “Barrow Brain Ball,” and is designed to teach the players how to avoid concussions.
“Athletes can participate in video game in which they move around and gain points by avoiding concussions,” said Dr. Javier Cardenas.
“It focuses on the things that you can do to reduce your chance of concussion,” Cardenas said. “Those include making sure that the helmet is fitted properly, making sure your equipment is safe and making sure that you’re avoiding a collision with other players.”
If the players do get tackled in the video game, Cardenas said they have a lot of things to overcome to continue playing the game.
“If they get struck by another athlete, there are simulated classroom settings in which they have to go and learn about concussion symptoms and signs,” he said.
The game, played through an app, will be available on Android and iPhones this week.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.