For most of us, our lives seem to constantly be on the go. Our actions are often dictated by our to-do lists and the things that we must get done, whether for work or our family. August 27 is Just Because Day. This day is designed to do things just because you want to. This is a day to do things we normally wouldn’t do, but that will bring us, our family, friends and even those we don’t know well a large smile. Here are several ways you can celebrate Just Because Day.
Make your spouse’s favorite meal
Just because you love your spouse, surprise him or her after a long day at work with his favorite meal. He works hard for your family and deserve a little appreciation.
Write letters to your children
Your children are the center of your world. Most of your daily tasks and activities center around your kids. Spend some time and write them letters letting them know just how much you love and care for them. It doesn’t have to be a special occasion to let them know that you love them and are proud of their accomplishments.
Call a long-lost friend
Take the time to call a friend you haven’t seen or spoken to in a long time. You don’t need a reason to call. Just say hello and see how her life is going. Rekindling a friendship can be one of the best ways to celebrate this unique holiday.
Visit a sick, lonely or depressed individual
There are people all around us that are facing challenging and difficult times. Take some time out of your busy schedule to visit them and offer them encouraging and uplifting words. An unexpected visit from a friend can turn someone’s day completely around. Be that friend and help bring a little sunshine to a gloomy day.
Enjoy a delicious dessert
It doesn’t have to be a birthday, anniversary or a holiday to enjoy a delicious dessert. Just because you love sweets and sugar, enjoy a delicious treat that will ignite your taste buds. You can make a yummy treat yourself or go to a nearby bakery or restaurant and order something that is sure to satisfy your sweet cravings.
Start a new project
If there is a project or a hobby that you have always wanted to try, today is the perfecting starting point. Why? Just because. Today, you really don’t need a reason to do the things that you do. Put off the things of lesser importance on your to-do list and enjoy starting something new.
Today, it is OK to do something even if there isn’t a reason for it. Do things because you want to, not because your have to. When you take time to do the things you want to do, you will be more relaxed, happy and productive. Think about your family, friends and those you care about most today, including yourself. And enjoy today — just because.
Courtnie Erickson is a Utah State University graduate and a technology guru.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night