WASHINGTON (AP) – President Barack Obama’s choice to lead the Department of Homeland Security Department is one step closer to joining the Cabinet after winning support from a Senate committee.
The Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee approved Jeh (JAY) Johnson’s nomination in a voice vote Wednesday.
The former top lawyer at the Pentagon would succeed Janet Napolitano if approved by the full Senate. A final vote has not yet been scheduled.
During his confirmation hearing, Johnson told senators his first priority as secretary would be to fill a host of leadership vacancies in the sprawling department.
Nearly 40 percent of the department’s top positions are vacant.
If confirmed, Johnson would be the department’s fourth secretary.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier