PHOENIX — Dean Howard said he grew up with the Sunnyslope stigma.
“Obviously, some parts of Sunnyslope have deteriorated and there are some great parts of Sunnyslope.”
One of the best, Howard said, is Mountain View Park on Seventh Avenue north of Dunlap. That’s where the Sunnyslope Village Alliance hopes to grow neighborhood pride with the help of a community garden.
“The grass, the back of the mountain, the backdrop is just unbelievable,” he said.
Thanks to a $66,000 grant, the group will start developing plots in Mountain View Park next week. Howard said it plans to have cooking and gardening classes and hopes to get schoolchildren and local restaurants involved.
“Back when I was a kid, we used to come out here for Easter, for all the events throughout the year. That’s gone. It shouldn’t be,” he said. “There’s a way to spur that growth, that activity, that involvement.”
The Sunnyslope Village Alliance is holding a volunteer day of service and celebration on Sept. 6 to showcase the garden plots and kick off planting. You can get more information by calling (602) 944-0941 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets