PHOENIX — Dean Howard said he grew up with the Sunnyslope stigma.
“Obviously, some parts of Sunnyslope have deteriorated and there are some great parts of Sunnyslope.”
One of the best, Howard said, is Mountain View Park on Seventh Avenue north of Dunlap. That’s where the Sunnyslope Village Alliance hopes to grow neighborhood pride with the help of a community garden.
“The grass, the back of the mountain, the backdrop is just unbelievable,” he said.
Thanks to a $66,000 grant, the group will start developing plots in Mountain View Park next week. Howard said it plans to have cooking and gardening classes and hopes to get schoolchildren and local restaurants involved.
“Back when I was a kid, we used to come out here for Easter, for all the events throughout the year. That’s gone. It shouldn’t be,” he said. “There’s a way to spur that growth, that activity, that involvement.”
The Sunnyslope Village Alliance is holding a volunteer day of service and celebration on Sept. 6 to showcase the garden plots and kick off planting. You can get more information by calling (602) 944-0941 or emailing email@example.com.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America