PHOENIX — Dean Howard said he grew up with the Sunnyslope stigma.
“Obviously, some parts of Sunnyslope have deteriorated and there are some great parts of Sunnyslope.”
One of the best, Howard said, is Mountain View Park on Seventh Avenue north of Dunlap. That’s where the Sunnyslope Village Alliance hopes to grow neighborhood pride with the help of a community garden.
“The grass, the back of the mountain, the backdrop is just unbelievable,” he said.
Thanks to a $66,000 grant, the group will start developing plots in Mountain View Park next week. Howard said it plans to have cooking and gardening classes and hopes to get schoolchildren and local restaurants involved.
“Back when I was a kid, we used to come out here for Easter, for all the events throughout the year. That’s gone. It shouldn’t be,” he said. “There’s a way to spur that growth, that activity, that involvement.”
The Sunnyslope Village Alliance is holding a volunteer day of service and celebration on Sept. 6 to showcase the garden plots and kick off planting. You can get more information by calling (602) 944-0941 or emailing email@example.com.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments