PHOENIX — A Valley-based company that brought cameras to catch speeders and red-light runners is growing its business via school buses.
Redflex Traffic Systems has a program called “Student Guardian” which uses cameras on school-bus stop-arms to catch drivers who fail to stop.
“There is immense, widespread, social and political acceptance because parents want it,” said Division President Tom O’Connor.
O’Connor said studies show, on a daily average, one car passes each stopped school bus.
“There are 440,000 buses on the road today,” he said.
While they will catch fewer violators using the stop-arm cameras compared to photo enforcement cameras, O’Connor said the average fines are significantly higher.
The cameras take two still photos and video for law enforcement to review to determine whether a violation has taken place.
Currently, Redflex has deal in eight states that for the stop-arm cameras. Arizona is not among them, but O’Connor expects that will change. He said politicians across the country are working on legislation to allow stop-arm cameras.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development