PHOENIX — A Valley-based company that brought cameras to catch speeders and red-light runners is growing its business via school buses.
Redflex Traffic Systems has a program called “Student Guardian” which uses cameras on school-bus stop-arms to catch drivers who fail to stop.
“There is immense, widespread, social and political acceptance because parents want it,” said Division President Tom O’Connor.
O’Connor said studies show, on a daily average, one car passes each stopped school bus.
“There are 440,000 buses on the road today,” he said.
While they will catch fewer violators using the stop-arm cameras compared to photo enforcement cameras, O’Connor said the average fines are significantly higher.
The cameras take two still photos and video for law enforcement to review to determine whether a violation has taken place.
Currently, Redflex has deal in eight states that for the stop-arm cameras. Arizona is not among them, but O’Connor expects that will change. He said politicians across the country are working on legislation to allow stop-arm cameras.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns