PHOENIX — A Valley-based company that brought cameras to catch speeders and red-light runners is growing its business via school buses.
Redflex Traffic Systems has a program called “Student Guardian” which uses cameras on school-bus stop-arms to catch drivers who fail to stop.
“There is immense, widespread, social and political acceptance because parents want it,” said Division President Tom O’Connor.
O’Connor said studies show, on a daily average, one car passes each stopped school bus.
“There are 440,000 buses on the road today,” he said.
While they will catch fewer violators using the stop-arm cameras compared to photo enforcement cameras, O’Connor said the average fines are significantly higher.
The cameras take two still photos and video for law enforcement to review to determine whether a violation has taken place.
Currently, Redflex has deal in eight states that for the stop-arm cameras. Arizona is not among them, but O’Connor expects that will change. He said politicians across the country are working on legislation to allow stop-arm cameras.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy