PHOENIX — A Valley-based company that brought cameras to catch speeders and red-light runners is growing its business via school buses.
Redflex Traffic Systems has a program called “Student Guardian” which uses cameras on school-bus stop-arms to catch drivers who fail to stop.
“There is immense, widespread, social and political acceptance because parents want it,” said Division President Tom O’Connor.
O’Connor said studies show, on a daily average, one car passes each stopped school bus.
“There are 440,000 buses on the road today,” he said.
While they will catch fewer violators using the stop-arm cameras compared to photo enforcement cameras, O’Connor said the average fines are significantly higher.
The cameras take two still photos and video for law enforcement to review to determine whether a violation has taken place.
Currently, Redflex has deal in eight states that for the stop-arm cameras. Arizona is not among them, but O’Connor expects that will change. He said politicians across the country are working on legislation to allow stop-arm cameras.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night