PHOENIX — Ahead of Labor Day Weekend, the United States and Mexican governments reminded workers Monday that they have rights, no matter their immigration status.
According to federal law, whether workers are documented or undocumented, they have rights. If they work for a covered employer, they are to be paid no less than the minimum wage and overtime if they work more than 40 hours in a week.
Eric Murray with the U.S. Department of Labor said his office is kept very busy with complaints of employers abusing workers. As a recent example, Murray said almost 300 employees at three Octopus Car Wash locations in Tucson received $313,000 in back wages and overtime.
“The employer did not record all of the hours that were actually worked,” he said. “The employees were there but not showing up on the time cards. In addition, we found child labor violations. These particular violations they were working more than eight hours a day during the school year. In this case we still are trying to locate to distribute their pay. We’re working with the consulates to locate them.”
Murray said workers need to know that they can voice concerns about workplace conditions without fear of repercussions about legal status.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.