PHOENIX — When it comes to funding the economy of tomorrow, Arizona should look to warfare to fund its economy, an Arizona State University professor said.
“We need to leverage off the Department of Defense’s investments in the state historically and be savvy about that,” Director of the L. William Seidman Research Institute at the W.P. Carey School of Business at ASU Dennis Hoffman told News/Talk 92/3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Monday. “Position ourselves to do [research and development] around surveillance, new combative technologies, new technologies for warfare differently than we’ve done in the past.”
Hoffman said Arizona needs to focus on research and development rather than manufacturing because manufacturing jobs are more likely to either be moved overseas or automated.
Hoffman also said Arizona boasts a few other bright spots, including an influx in financial services and insurance data firms along with ASU partnerships in healthcare and educational technologies.
While Hoffman said the Arizona economy of 2020 will likely look the same, the state can anticipate a few changes.
“I think you’re going to see a structure of an economy — in terms of where people work and what types of pursuits — again much like you see today, hopefully a bit more like was saw pre-Great Recession than during the depths of the Great Recession.”
A Valley resident for more than 30 years, Hoffman said the economy of the future will change as Arizona is accustomed to 50,000 to 75,000 people pouring into the state annually who wanted jobs, houses and cars.
“We were heavily reliant on construction because we led the nation or nearly led the nation on population growth for a number of years,” he said.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident