PHOENIX — Arizona’s “mediocre” economy may be puttering along, but it’s doing better than many others nationwide, a Valley economist said.
“If I had to pick one word, it would be ‘mediocre’ at present,” economist Elliot Pollack told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Monday. “However, it’s doing well relative to the rest of the country.”
To back his claim, Pollack said that Phoenix was the 49th fastest-growing city and 25th in employment job growth a few years ago. Phoenix now ranks fourth and fifth in each category, respectively.
Pollack also said that Arizona’s economy is comparatively anemic to a standard recovery, but it’s not the state’s fault.
“The fact that that whole economy is so slow is holding us back,” he said.
Arizona’s economy is also reliant on several major companies and the ripple effect they cause.
“We’re here because of Intel and because of Honeywell, because of Boeing, because of JDA Software, because of the resorts,” said Pollack. “That’s what drives the economy.”
Pollack compared the aforementioned companies to a coal mine in a ghost town: Once the coal runs out and the mine closes, the town goes under. If one of the large firms was to lose 10,000 jobs in Arizona, he said the cost would be an additional 25,000 jobs.
Despite Arizona’s reliance on large technology firms, Pollack said the state can expect smaller companies to move here as the state looks to diversify, with large moves coming few and far between.
“It’s very difficult to diversify your economy quickly. Almost nobody’s been able to do it. The state’s that have a very diversified economy have had a very diversified economy for an extended period of time,” he said, adding that Arizona’s economy was more diverse when more electronics were being manufactured in the United States. Those jobs have since been moved overseas.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets