PHOENIX — Police arrested a man Monday who is suspected of hitting a pregnant woman with a car over the weekend.
Guadalupe Castaneda allegedly stole a car in the area of 16th Street and Camelback. He sideswiped the driver, who was attempting to stop him and sped away through the parking lot.
He then hit 17-year-old Nahomy Leyva-Valencia and a friend. Leyva-Valencia, who is four months pregnant, sustained broken legs, broken arms and broken ribs. Her unborn child is in critical condition. Leyva-Valencia’s friend, Karina Pinon, may have broken her arm.
After hitting the two women, Castaneda hit a car with two more women inside. One sustained slight injuries.
Castaneda then fled the parking lot and was pursued by two police cars.
“The suspect left the bar parking lot in that car followed by police, who would enter a pursuit with him for a short distance, the backed off and let an aircraft follow him,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump.
After being arrested, Castaneda told police he had consumed about 30 beers and knew he was driving on a suspended license. He also claimed to have not hit anything except a trashcan as he was fleeing.
Castaneda was charged with two counts of aggravated assault and one count each of endangerment, unlawful control of a means of transportation, failure to remain at the scene of a hit-and-run that caused injury, unlawful flight and aggravated DUI.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food