PHOENIX — Police arrested a man Monday who is suspected of hitting a pregnant woman with a car over the weekend.
Guadalupe Castaneda allegedly stole a car in the area of 16th Street and Camelback. He sideswiped the driver, who was attempting to stop him and sped away through the parking lot.
He then hit 17-year-old Nahomy Leyva-Valencia and a friend. Leyva-Valencia, who is four months pregnant, sustained broken legs, broken arms and broken ribs. Her unborn child is in critical condition. Leyva-Valencia’s friend, Karina Pinon, may have broken her arm.
After hitting the two women, Castaneda hit a car with two more women inside. One sustained slight injuries.
Castaneda then fled the parking lot and was pursued by two police cars.
“The suspect left the bar parking lot in that car followed by police, who would enter a pursuit with him for a short distance, the backed off and let an aircraft follow him,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump.
After being arrested, Castaneda told police he had consumed about 30 beers and knew he was driving on a suspended license. He also claimed to have not hit anything except a trashcan as he was fleeing.
Castaneda was charged with two counts of aggravated assault and one count each of endangerment, unlawful control of a means of transportation, failure to remain at the scene of a hit-and-run that caused injury, unlawful flight and aggravated DUI.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life