PHOENIX — Police arrested a man Monday who is suspected of hitting a pregnant woman with a car over the weekend.
Guadalupe Castaneda allegedly stole a car in the area of 16th Street and Camelback. He sideswiped the driver, who was attempting to stop him and sped away through the parking lot.
He then hit 17-year-old Nahomy Leyva-Valencia and a friend. Leyva-Valencia, who is four months pregnant, sustained broken legs, broken arms and broken ribs. Her unborn child is in critical condition. Leyva-Valencia’s friend, Karina Pinon, may have broken her arm.
After hitting the two women, Castaneda hit a car with two more women inside. One sustained slight injuries.
Castaneda then fled the parking lot and was pursued by two police cars.
“The suspect left the bar parking lot in that car followed by police, who would enter a pursuit with him for a short distance, the backed off and let an aircraft follow him,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump.
After being arrested, Castaneda told police he had consumed about 30 beers and knew he was driving on a suspended license. He also claimed to have not hit anything except a trashcan as he was fleeing.
Castaneda was charged with two counts of aggravated assault and one count each of endangerment, unlawful control of a means of transportation, failure to remain at the scene of a hit-and-run that caused injury, unlawful flight and aggravated DUI.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier