PHOENIX — Police arrested a man Monday who is suspected of hitting a pregnant woman with a car over the weekend.
Guadalupe Castaneda allegedly stole a car in the area of 16th Street and Camelback. He sideswiped the driver, who was attempting to stop him and sped away through the parking lot.
He then hit 17-year-old Nahomy Leyva-Valencia and a friend. Leyva-Valencia, who is four months pregnant, sustained broken legs, broken arms and broken ribs. Her unborn child is in critical condition. Leyva-Valencia’s friend, Karina Pinon, may have broken her arm.
After hitting the two women, Castaneda hit a car with two more women inside. One sustained slight injuries.
Castaneda then fled the parking lot and was pursued by two police cars.
“The suspect left the bar parking lot in that car followed by police, who would enter a pursuit with him for a short distance, the backed off and let an aircraft follow him,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump.
After being arrested, Castaneda told police he had consumed about 30 beers and knew he was driving on a suspended license. He also claimed to have not hit anything except a trashcan as he was fleeing.
Castaneda was charged with two counts of aggravated assault and one count each of endangerment, unlawful control of a means of transportation, failure to remain at the scene of a hit-and-run that caused injury, unlawful flight and aggravated DUI.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes