Terry Goddard, former attorney general of Arizona and mayor of Phoenix, took a look ahead at the future of the state while on the Bruce St. James Show Monday.
“If we have a major failing as a state, it’s we’re always looking to be somebody else,” Goddard said. “It’s time Arizona just concentrated on being Arizona.”
He said the state is in a good place going forward, but that it needs to stop “picking fights” with other states and the federal government.
Goddard said he is encouraged by recent successes in the state that should translate to a more stable economy.
“I never would have thought that Arizona would get out of the housing crisis as quickly as (it) did,” Goddard said, pointing out that only Nevada was hit harder during the housing crisis, and it’s still struggling to recover.
Goddard also said that Arizona should take advantage of where it’s located geographically.
“We need to enjoy and prosper from where we are, and by that I mean specifically the Mexican and Canadian trade route,” he said. “We’re right in the dead center of it. We’ve got tremendous opportunities (in the state’s relationship with Mexico).”
As a current board member of the Central Arizona Water Conservation District, Goddard has unique insight in the role the state’s water supply will play in its stability and its economy.
“Arizona’s done a terrific job in looking ahead and planning for a water future that is secure,” he said, “but there are lots of threats to that, including one of the most extraordinary droughts that we’ve seen in the Colorado (River) Basin ever.”
He again pointed to Nevada for its struggles in this area, saying that Arizona is in a better place.
Goddard also praised the state’s legislature for a recent deal that helps secure its water outlook.
“Just recently, the state’s political leadership pulled together and basically saved the Navajo Generating Station…which helps bring affordable water to central Arizona.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development