PHOENIX — Mesa will become the third Valley city to be part of a regional bike-sharing program.
Starting in April, the city is looking to place up to 250 bikes along the light rail line. Bicycle and Pedestrian Program Manager Jim Hash said city research shows that light rail riders will generally walk about a half-mile from the station. By offering comfortable bikes, he thinks they’ll ride up to two miles.
“They offer big, wide tires that are stable,” he said. “They give you a basket that you can put your work attire or groceries in.”
To mitigate the heat, Hash said they’ll use lighter colors and they’ll store bikes under shade.
Prices will vary, but the current plan could cost as little as $5 for a one-day pass and up to $79 for a one-year membership.
Phoenix plans to roll out about 500 bikes by the end of this year, while Tempe’s bike-sharing program is scheduled to launch next year.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development