PHOENIX — Mesa will become the third Valley city to be part of a regional bike-sharing program.
Starting in April, the city is looking to place up to 250 bikes along the light rail line. Bicycle and Pedestrian Program Manager Jim Hash said city research shows that light rail riders will generally walk about a half-mile from the station. By offering comfortable bikes, he thinks they’ll ride up to two miles.
“They offer big, wide tires that are stable,” he said. “They give you a basket that you can put your work attire or groceries in.”
To mitigate the heat, Hash said they’ll use lighter colors and they’ll store bikes under shade.
Prices will vary, but the current plan could cost as little as $5 for a one-day pass and up to $79 for a one-year membership.
Phoenix plans to roll out about 500 bikes by the end of this year, while Tempe’s bike-sharing program is scheduled to launch next year.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.