PHOENIX — Mesa will become the third Valley city to be part of a regional bike-sharing program.
Starting in April, the city is looking to place up to 250 bikes along the light rail line. Bicycle and Pedestrian Program Manager Jim Hash said city research shows that light rail riders will generally walk about a half-mile from the station. By offering comfortable bikes, he thinks they’ll ride up to two miles.
“They offer big, wide tires that are stable,” he said. “They give you a basket that you can put your work attire or groceries in.”
To mitigate the heat, Hash said they’ll use lighter colors and they’ll store bikes under shade.
Prices will vary, but the current plan could cost as little as $5 for a one-day pass and up to $79 for a one-year membership.
Phoenix plans to roll out about 500 bikes by the end of this year, while Tempe’s bike-sharing program is scheduled to launch next year.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food