PHOENIX – Students at Arizona State University’s downtown campus have a new place to workout.
The $25-million Sun Devil Fitness Complex opened last week and is right next door to a downtown Phoenix landmark.
“The YMCA are our neighbors, and then we have the Sun Devil Fitness complex, which is adjacent to the Lincoln Family Downtown YMCA which is right next door,” said ASU Assistant Dean of Students Tanya Mendes.
Mendes said the fitness center has some awesome facilities. “We have a rooftop pool, an indoor running track, and a basketball court,” Mendes said. “And of course, we offer our group fitness classes, and we have all of the stuff you need for strengthening and conditioning.”
She said students are pretty excited about the place.
“The day of opening, they were waiting at 5 a.m. waiting to get right in. It’s been pretty busy as you can tell,” said Mendes. Dozens of students were using fitness equipment just a few feet away from where we were speaking with Mendes.
Outdoors, on top of the five story building, we found Freshman Elouise Bacon lounging by the pool.
“I think it’s awesome,” Bacon said. “I mean, you can see everything from here. I love it. I love the rooftop pool.”
Students pay a $75 dollar yearly fee for access to the fitness center, which is also open to members of the YMCA next door.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night