An investigation has found some possible wrongdoing at the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency.
This after Board Chairman Jesse Hernandez abruptly quit on August 16th.
A report by the Arizona Department of Investigation says Hernandez dated a department employee and gave her a $21-thousand dollar pay raise, even though she wasn’t qualified for the job. It also says he “Oogled” women as they walked by him at the office.
The Board that Hernandez chaired considers parole for inmates. The report says that Hernandez tried unsuccessfully to have the sentenced reduced for former Phoenix Suns star Amar’e Stoudamire’s half brother, after he bragged about having lunch with the basketball player and getting free tickets from him. The half brother, Marwan Williams, is serving a 9-year sentence for a 2007 armed robbery.
After the report was released, Governor Jan Brewer’s Office took action. “The Governor’s Office made it clear to Mr. Hernandez that his conduct as Chairman was unacceptable. Mr. Hernandez recognized that and resigned. Governor Brewer welcomed his resignation,” said Andrew Wilder, a Spokesman for the Governor.
Why Hernandez was even in the position in the first place is also being called into question. The “Arizona Republic” claims that Governor Brewer fired the previous Chairman, who had 20 years experience, and appointed Hernandez, who has no experience.
In an interview with KTAR, Wilder defended the Governor’s appointment of Hernandez. “The nomination and confirmation were done openly and publicly at the time,” Wilder said. When we asked Wilder why the possibly inexperienced Hernandez appealed to the Governor, Wilder replied “I don’t have any information on that.”
There’s no word yet on whether any criminal charges will be filed in the case.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns