An investigation has found some possible wrongdoing at the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency.
This after Board Chairman Jesse Hernandez abruptly quit on August 16th.
A report by the Arizona Department of Investigation says Hernandez dated a department employee and gave her a $21-thousand dollar pay raise, even though she wasn’t qualified for the job. It also says he “Oogled” women as they walked by him at the office.
The Board that Hernandez chaired considers parole for inmates. The report says that Hernandez tried unsuccessfully to have the sentenced reduced for former Phoenix Suns star Amar’e Stoudamire’s half brother, after he bragged about having lunch with the basketball player and getting free tickets from him. The half brother, Marwan Williams, is serving a 9-year sentence for a 2007 armed robbery.
After the report was released, Governor Jan Brewer’s Office took action. “The Governor’s Office made it clear to Mr. Hernandez that his conduct as Chairman was unacceptable. Mr. Hernandez recognized that and resigned. Governor Brewer welcomed his resignation,” said Andrew Wilder, a Spokesman for the Governor.
Why Hernandez was even in the position in the first place is also being called into question. The “Arizona Republic” claims that Governor Brewer fired the previous Chairman, who had 20 years experience, and appointed Hernandez, who has no experience.
In an interview with KTAR, Wilder defended the Governor’s appointment of Hernandez. “The nomination and confirmation were done openly and publicly at the time,” Wilder said. When we asked Wilder why the possibly inexperienced Hernandez appealed to the Governor, Wilder replied “I don’t have any information on that.”
There’s no word yet on whether any criminal charges will be filed in the case.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon