Most people run from danger, but not the volunteers with Christian-based, Food for the Hungry. Founded in 1971, the organization provides emergency relief and long-term development programs with operation in more than 20 countries to help the most vulnerable.
Currently, volunteers are bravely assisting thousands of Syrians, who are in the country or have managed to escape.
“It is our mandate as Christians to show compassion and to show the love of God to these people who are suffering,” said Peter Howard, FH’s Director of Emergency Response.
He admits he fears for the safety of not only FH volunteers, but those from organizations they’ve partnered with. But as the violence continues, so do humanitarian efforts.
“We don’t have a choice, they’re our human brothers and sisters. While they are thousands of miles away, they are just like us,” Howard said.
While self-preservation is a huge concern, collectively the fear that refugees could go hungry within a few months because of food shortages is paramount.
“The alleged chemical attacks further highlight the plight of a nation that is desperately suffering,” Howard said. “With several million people inside and outside of the country fleeing violence, we must extend mercy to those who are in great need.”
If you would like to make a donation, please visit Help Syria’s website.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier