PHOENIX — A cab driver was shot Friday after picking up a fare in Mesa, police said.
The victim called 911 about 12:35 p.m. and told police he believed he had been shot by the suspect, 28-year-old Matthew Howardell, whom he picked up in the 500 block of W. Ninth Place.
“They were having a conversation and had barely left that area when he heard a loud pop,” said Mesa Police Sgt. Tony Landato.
Howardell got out, fired one more shot and then ran off.
The 46-year-old cab driver sped away and called 911.
“We were trying to get him to pull over and eventually he came to rest at Alma School and Broadway,” said Landato.
Howardell was located in the area of the shooting. He was arrested on an unrelated warrant and, following police interviews, named the suspect in the shooting. He was charged with aggravated assault. More charges could be brought.
Police said they have recovered a gun and clothing that likely belong to Howardell.
In a statement, Discount Cab said it was working with police. The company also said the cab driver was shot in the head, but police would not confirm the extent of the driver’s injuries.
The driver, a black male, was taken to a local hospital for surgery.
Anyone with information on this shooting is asked to contact the Mesa Police Department at (480) 644-2211.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night