PHOENIX — A cab driver was shot Friday after picking up a fare in Mesa, police said.
The victim called 911 about 12:35 p.m. and told police he believed he had been shot by the suspect, 28-year-old Matthew Howardell, whom he picked up in the 500 block of W. Ninth Place.
“They were having a conversation and had barely left that area when he heard a loud pop,” said Mesa Police Sgt. Tony Landato.
Howardell got out, fired one more shot and then ran off.
The 46-year-old cab driver sped away and called 911.
“We were trying to get him to pull over and eventually he came to rest at Alma School and Broadway,” said Landato.
Howardell was located in the area of the shooting. He was arrested on an unrelated warrant and, following police interviews, named the suspect in the shooting. He was charged with aggravated assault. More charges could be brought.
Police said they have recovered a gun and clothing that likely belong to Howardell.
In a statement, Discount Cab said it was working with police. The company also said the cab driver was shot in the head, but police would not confirm the extent of the driver’s injuries.
The driver, a black male, was taken to a local hospital for surgery.
Anyone with information on this shooting is asked to contact the Mesa Police Department at (480) 644-2211.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets