PHOENIX — New York City firefighters have raised over $30,000 for the families of the 19 hotshots who were killed battling the Yarnell Hill wildfire last month.
According to the New York Daily News, dozens of fire companies chipped in to raise the money by having each firefighter donate $1 every time they had a meal during a shift.
Phil Pillet, a 24-year veteran FDNY firefighter with Ladder Co. 56 in the Bronx, helped organize the fund-raiser to show support for wildland firefighters who arrived in the city after Sept. 11.
“It goes all the way back to them coming here on 9/11 without being called, and just showing up,” said Pillet, 51, adding that the woodland smoke-eaters introduced a more sophisticated level of organization to handle mass casualty incidents.
Pillet also credited the hotshots for the formation of FDNY’s incident management team.
But FDNY isn’t stopping there. The agency is encouraging other fire companies across the nation to match their donation.
A source confirmed that members of the Chicago Fire Department have accepted the proposition, but are currently discussing ways to raise the cash.
The money raised by FDNY will go to the Wildland Firefighter Foundation, which distributes funds to the families of all firefighters who die fighting wildfires.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier