PHOENIX — New York City firefighters have raised over $30,000 for the families of the 19 hotshots who were killed battling the Yarnell Hill wildfire last month.
According to the New York Daily News, dozens of fire companies chipped in to raise the money by having each firefighter donate $1 every time they had a meal during a shift.
Phil Pillet, a 24-year veteran FDNY firefighter with Ladder Co. 56 in the Bronx, helped organize the fund-raiser to show support for wildland firefighters who arrived in the city after Sept. 11.
“It goes all the way back to them coming here on 9/11 without being called, and just showing up,” said Pillet, 51, adding that the woodland smoke-eaters introduced a more sophisticated level of organization to handle mass casualty incidents.
Pillet also credited the hotshots for the formation of FDNY’s incident management team.
But FDNY isn’t stopping there. The agency is encouraging other fire companies across the nation to match their donation.
A source confirmed that members of the Chicago Fire Department have accepted the proposition, but are currently discussing ways to raise the cash.
The money raised by FDNY will go to the Wildland Firefighter Foundation, which distributes funds to the families of all firefighters who die fighting wildfires.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food