PHOENIX — Both Salt River Project and Arizona Public Service don’t want business owners to be left in the dark when it comes to protecting your identity and your money.
The companies are alerting Valley customers that there is a new scam that primarily targets small business owners.
The scam artists call victims and identify themselves as SRP or APS workers and make threats. These victims are instructed to purchase a prepaid card from Walgreens, load it with money and call back with the card information.
“They’re telling customers that if they don’t pay within 30 minutes, they will disconnect the power,” said SRP spokesperson Kathleen Mascarenas. “If someone is forcing you to pay immediately, that’s a huge red flag that it’s not a utility company.”
Fortunately, in some cases, the victims called their utility company directly to confirm before they were duped out of cash.
SRP has reported the activity to the Federal Trade Commission.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas