PHOENIX — Both Salt River Project and Arizona Public Service don’t want business owners to be left in the dark when it comes to protecting your identity and your money.
The companies are alerting Valley customers that there is a new scam that primarily targets small business owners.
The scam artists call victims and identify themselves as SRP or APS workers and make threats. These victims are instructed to purchase a prepaid card from Walgreens, load it with money and call back with the card information.
“They’re telling customers that if they don’t pay within 30 minutes, they will disconnect the power,” said SRP spokesperson Kathleen Mascarenas. “If someone is forcing you to pay immediately, that’s a huge red flag that it’s not a utility company.”
Fortunately, in some cases, the victims called their utility company directly to confirm before they were duped out of cash.
SRP has reported the activity to the Federal Trade Commission.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food