PHOENIX — Congress will light the fuse on Arizona’s economy if they can get a deal done on comprehensive immigration reform, the head of the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry said.
Glenn Hamer said says immigration reform should help bring us back up to full speed on job levels and then some.
“Innovators want to come here but we need dramatic improvement in the immigration system to meet those needs,” he said.
Hamer pointed out that Arizona is now in the top 10 when it comes to job growth nationally. At one point it dropped to 49th.
Hamer said reform would ignite Arizona’s economy across the board from agriculture to tourism and skilled jobs
“The economic impact would be off the charts.”
The Economic Policy Institute said Arizona is behind only Nevada when it comes to returning jobs to precession levels. Arizona lost 300,000 jobs during the recession and we’re still down by more than 150,000 jobs from where it was in late 2007.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.