PHOENIX — Congress will light the fuse on Arizona’s economy if they can get a deal done on comprehensive immigration reform, the head of the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry said.
Glenn Hamer said says immigration reform should help bring us back up to full speed on job levels and then some.
“Innovators want to come here but we need dramatic improvement in the immigration system to meet those needs,” he said.
Hamer pointed out that Arizona is now in the top 10 when it comes to job growth nationally. At one point it dropped to 49th.
Hamer said reform would ignite Arizona’s economy across the board from agriculture to tourism and skilled jobs
“The economic impact would be off the charts.”
The Economic Policy Institute said Arizona is behind only Nevada when it comes to returning jobs to precession levels. Arizona lost 300,000 jobs during the recession and we’re still down by more than 150,000 jobs from where it was in late 2007.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them