PHOENIX — Grand Canyon University will welcome a record 3,000-strong freshmen class over the next two days as the students move into their dorm rooms.
Students are hauling in in TVs, computers, luggage, clothes and more into the dorms. About 1,600 students, faculty and staff are helping the new students move all their stuff.
The unloading zone looks like a NASCAR pit stop: Parents pull up with the cars and volunteers unload everything.
Kassandra Lozoya from Phoenix was surprised to see this many people.
“It’s a welcoming vibe,” she said. “I feel comfortable already and that’s good.”
Grand Canyon University President Brian Mueller is also lending a hand.
“This is one of the reasons people are attracted to GCU,” he said. “They feel like they’re welcome and part of a community right from the beginning. I’ve been up to the fifth floor a few times now.
Classes begin Monday at GCU.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments