PHOENIX — Grand Canyon University will welcome a record 3,000-strong freshmen class over the next two days as the students move into their dorm rooms.
Students are hauling in in TVs, computers, luggage, clothes and more into the dorms. About 1,600 students, faculty and staff are helping the new students move all their stuff.
The unloading zone looks like a NASCAR pit stop: Parents pull up with the cars and volunteers unload everything.
Kassandra Lozoya from Phoenix was surprised to see this many people.
“It’s a welcoming vibe,” she said. “I feel comfortable already and that’s good.”
Grand Canyon University President Brian Mueller is also lending a hand.
“This is one of the reasons people are attracted to GCU,” he said. “They feel like they’re welcome and part of a community right from the beginning. I’ve been up to the fifth floor a few times now.
Classes begin Monday at GCU.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier