PHOENIX — Grand Canyon University will welcome a record 3,000-strong freshmen class over the next two days as the students move into their dorm rooms.
Students are hauling in in TVs, computers, luggage, clothes and more into the dorms. About 1,600 students, faculty and staff are helping the new students move all their stuff.
The unloading zone looks like a NASCAR pit stop: Parents pull up with the cars and volunteers unload everything.
Kassandra Lozoya from Phoenix was surprised to see this many people.
“It’s a welcoming vibe,” she said. “I feel comfortable already and that’s good.”
Grand Canyon University President Brian Mueller is also lending a hand.
“This is one of the reasons people are attracted to GCU,” he said. “They feel like they’re welcome and part of a community right from the beginning. I’ve been up to the fifth floor a few times now.
Classes begin Monday at GCU.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night