PHOENIX — Officers who removed a father and his 15-year-old son from an Arizona Cardinals game after the man had his son hold his beer did not overreact, an official said Wednesday.
Communications Director for the Arizona Dept. of Liquor License and Control Lee Hill said that, when officers saw John Coulter hand his son his beer so he could take a picture, the officers had the choice to arrest him if they believed he was giving an underage person alcohol.
“When the officers determine that the intent is to give an underage person liquor, to provide them with liquor, an arrest will be made,” she said. “In this case, an arrest was not made.”
Lee also said she was unaware of a “crack down” on underage drinking at Cardinals games, but that a primary focus of her agency is to address those under 21 who are given alcohol.
“Underage drinking has always been a primary focus of our agency just because it’s so dangerous,” she said.
Lee said that there are more facts to the case, but she did not know them all as the officers were still filing their reports. Her agency plans to release those reports following an internal review.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident