GLENDALE, Ariz. — The Glendale City Council will vote next month on whether to change the way it begins its meetings.
Currently, each meeting starts with the Pledge of Allegiance, but Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers wants to change the moment of silence that follows to a prayer.
Church leaders in the area would be invited to give a generic invocation that could be acceptable to people of all faiths.
“Everybody knows how many problems that elected officials have in today’s world,” Weiers said. “Why in the world would we not want to take a couple of minutes and ask for a little help from whoever the particular people happen to believe in or worship? Any divine guidance certainly is better than what we’ve been getting.
To basically step up and say ‘We can handle it on our own,’ obviously history doesn’t show that. The city’s made some errors and some mistakes.”
Weiers said that prayer works in government.
“In my opinion, it works for the state legislature,” he said. “It’s worked for state legislators and cities all over the United States, and why we would not allow something that we are Constitutionally allowed to do doesn’t make any sense to me.”
Glendale City Councilman Manny Martinez said he prays during the moment of silence that the council has now but he opposes the council changing that moment to a prayer.
“I’m opposed to it,” he said. “When it first came up, I said that I feel that I’m as religious as the next person. However, I don’t think that it’s appropriate to have a prayer. A moment of silence, to me, takes care of it.”
But Martinez said he’s in the minority and believes the council will approve the prayer next month.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.