PHOENIX — Arizona Republican party officials are hoping to host the 2016 national convention.
State GOP Party spokesman Tim Sifert confirmed Wednesday that the group is working on a proposal for the event. Phoenix was a finalist to host last year’s convention before losing out to Tampa, Fla.
Salt Lake City, a finalist in 2012, New Orleans, Kansas City and Las Vegas have also expressed interest in playing host to the Republican National Convention.
“It’s a very competitive process and we are very hopeful that this time around the national party will make the decision to have Phoenix host the convention,” Sifert said.
And for those who will question Phoenix as a convention site during August because of the heat:
“Last year the convention was in Tampa and they had hurricane warnings and bad weather. We can pretty much guarantee that we will have great weather,” Sifert said.
KTAR’S political analyst Mike O’Neil said Phoenix would be an unlikely choice to host the Republican National Convention in 2016 because Arizona is not considered to be a battleground state.
“Conventions tend to go to states that a party looks at and says we could be in play here. In recent years we have seen conventions held in Colorado, Florida, North Carolina.”
O’Neil said the Valley’s summertime heat during convention time would likely be another factor that eliminates us from consideration.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.