PHOENIX — Arizona Republican party officials are hoping to host the 2016 national convention.
State GOP Party spokesman Tim Sifert confirmed Wednesday that the group is working on a proposal for the event. Phoenix was a finalist to host last year’s convention before losing out to Tampa, Fla.
Salt Lake City, a finalist in 2012, New Orleans, Kansas City and Las Vegas have also expressed interest in playing host to the Republican National Convention.
“It’s a very competitive process and we are very hopeful that this time around the national party will make the decision to have Phoenix host the convention,” Sifert said.
And for those who will question Phoenix as a convention site during August because of the heat:
“Last year the convention was in Tampa and they had hurricane warnings and bad weather. We can pretty much guarantee that we will have great weather,” Sifert said.
KTAR’S political analyst Mike O’Neil said Phoenix would be an unlikely choice to host the Republican National Convention in 2016 because Arizona is not considered to be a battleground state.
“Conventions tend to go to states that a party looks at and says we could be in play here. In recent years we have seen conventions held in Colorado, Florida, North Carolina.”
O’Neil said the Valley’s summertime heat during convention time would likely be another factor that eliminates us from consideration.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night