PHOENIX — Arizona Republican party officials are hoping to host the 2016 national convention.
State GOP Party spokesman Tim Sifert confirmed Wednesday that the group is working on a proposal for the event. Phoenix was a finalist to host last year’s convention before losing out to Tampa, Fla.
Salt Lake City, a finalist in 2012, New Orleans, Kansas City and Las Vegas have also expressed interest in playing host to the Republican National Convention.
“It’s a very competitive process and we are very hopeful that this time around the national party will make the decision to have Phoenix host the convention,” Sifert said.
And for those who will question Phoenix as a convention site during August because of the heat:
“Last year the convention was in Tampa and they had hurricane warnings and bad weather. We can pretty much guarantee that we will have great weather,” Sifert said.
KTAR’S political analyst Mike O’Neil said Phoenix would be an unlikely choice to host the Republican National Convention in 2016 because Arizona is not considered to be a battleground state.
“Conventions tend to go to states that a party looks at and says we could be in play here. In recent years we have seen conventions held in Colorado, Florida, North Carolina.”
O’Neil said the Valley’s summertime heat during convention time would likely be another factor that eliminates us from consideration.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them